Pieces of human flesh were seen on Saturday morning littering the roadside in
a suburb of Abuja, Nyanya, where an explosive went off late on Friday.
The explosive was said to have been detonated at the Jikwoyi Park, Nyanya,
on the popular Abuja-Keffi Expressway, claiming yet-to-be ascertained
number of lives.
The late Friday incident was the third to be recorded in that vicinity.
Two previous incidents with heavy casualties were witnessed there last year.
Our correspondent, who visited the scene as early as 6.30am on Saturday,
reported that the scene of the blast had been cordoned off by security
operatives.
A combined team of soldiers, policemen, officials of the Nigerian Security and
Civil Defence Corps as well as the Federal Road Safety Corps were seen
controlling the crowd of onlookers which kept increasing every minute.
Some policemen wearing black T-shirts marked "EOD" were seen picking
pieces of human flesh that still littered the road side.
The pieces of flesh were being packed inside cartons by the security
operatives as wailing residents looked on.
Buses and cars that had their windscreens shattered as a result of the impact
of the blasts were still at the scene.
An eyewitness, who identified himself simply as Aminu, told our correspondent
that rescue workers recovered many corpses from the scene of the blast late
Friday.
"What you see them packing now are pieces of flesh because many of the
victims were torn into pieces. Corpses with several missing parts were taken
away last night," he said.
The incident has caused a serious traffic gridlock on the expressway inwards
Abuja as many motorists made attempt to get a glimpse of the scene.
Security operatives were still having difficulties in controlling the surging
crowd at the time of filing this report at 7.15am.